Crayons & Cuties in Kindergarten Home About Me My Classroom My Shop Image Map










Monday, September 29, 2014

There is Nothing SCARY About These Scarecrows!

Next to summer, Fall is one of my favorite seasons!
There are so many fun things to do- apple picking, pumpkin picking, local festivals and more!
The smells and decorations of Fall are some of my favorites!
Fall also bring iconic symbols to mind...one of which is the scarecrow!

I love making scarecrows with my students!  I usually have it as a non-directed activity and I love seeing what they come up with!  They especially love that they can dig into my scrap box and use WHATEVER paper they want!  There is no right or wrong way to make a scarecrow!

This year I am trying something new!  We have been working on shapes and I wanted a fun hands-on math center that would also produce something to make my bulletin boards look full of festive fall fun!

So I grabbed some paper, scissors and glue and got to work...

My almost 4 year old saw the paper, glue and scissors and needed in on the action, so I can now say this project is kid-tested and approved!



These shapes were all free-hand and cut, but I worried that my kinders wouldn't be able to do that- and since my focus was on reviewing shapes, I decided to make shape templates 
so that I could copy them onto construction paper, roughly cut them apart and place in baskets for them to choose the colors they wanted.  It would also allow for me to review the shape names ("you will need 1 hexagon...")

In addition, I wanted them to count and record the shapes they used so I made a recording sheet to attach to the project:
I also like to make a HUGE class scarecrow that we label using interactive writing (I don't have a picture since we didn't do it yet, but hope to get one up here soon!)
I then give them a sheet of 'labels' and have them match the words to label their own scarecrow parts.
(You can right click to save this image as a picture and insert it into a file to print a set for yourself to use!)

The templates and recording sheets for the scarecrow craftivity can be found here:
The templates will produce a scarecrow that fills a 12x18 piece of construction paper.  If you prefer a smaller scarecrow, when printing the templates choose the option to print '2 to a page' from your printer options and the templates will print at 50% the size.  You can also reduce the size on a copy machine.

I print directly onto construction paper via the copier's bypass feeder.  It helps reduce prep time of tracing shapes myself and also gives a nice crisp line for kids to follow when cutting!

I came across this free pattern block scarecrow template you can download from Jessica's Corner of CyberSpace!  You can find so many more holiday and seasonal pattern block templates on her site

I am planning on printing/laminating a few and placing them in a math center the week we do scarecrows.  We will be starting our number unit at the time, so I want them to practice counting/writing numbers.  I made this recording sheet to go with it:
Just click to download a copy for yourself!

As for ELA...
I have found a few good scarecrow books that I use every year:



This is a classic that is so fun to use because you can engage your students to help you 'act it out' while reading:

I am excited to try this new one out this year!  My son is such a fan of Otis books and this is one of the newest in the series:

But I also needed a fun shared reading that was simple for my students to read and re-read as part of our Readers Workshop unit of study, as well as our introduction to numbers unit in math.  So last year I made this book:

I had each page build on the next- and the text was easy and simple for them to follow!


I then had them each make a page for our class book that we put in the book nook!  That book was read and re-read so many times over the course of the year!


I had this number chart posted to help those that needed help while writing their own page:


And I also put the story into a smaller foldable reader so that each student could have a copy in his/her Readers Workshop book basket:


They used the b&w version and found sight words, letters we were working on, numbers, etc using highlighters.  After a few weeks of it 'hanging out' in their book baskets I sent them home so that they could add them to their reading treasure chests!


and have put BOTH of the scarecrow products I shared above on sale for the week:
You can get the Mr. Scarecrow Shared Reading for only $2 this week and the Scarecrow Craftivity Pack for just $1!  Combined they are $3 which is the TpT minimum for purchase!

Be sure to click the link above to see more Markdown Monday deals for the week!

Be sure to stop back later in the week...I am BURSTING to tell you about something I have joined and we have a really great surprise in store!

Until next post,
post signature

8 comments:

  1. Adorable!! I love those cute scarecrows. Your little books are great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracking possibilities for shipments are rated at 3.5. It indicates a satisfactory performance - most of the shipments arrive timely and within the scheduled time brackets; late arrivals are still possible, although uncommon.

    In Greece, 100% of the population has access to electricity. Greece has 77 airports nationwide. There are 3,201,000 internet hosts in Greece. http://www.confiduss.com/en/jurisdictions/greece/infrastructure/

    ReplyDelete
  3. A scarecrow or hay-guy is a decoy or model inside the form of a human. Additionally, it is wearing old garments and located in open fields to discourage birds together with crows or sparrows from worrying and feeding on recently solid seed and developing crops 24 Hour Roadside Assistance Near Me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. User ought to guarantee that the printer head is spotless and liberated from dust. Residue on the head might cause some deterrent while printing There are two different ways to clear or clean the residue, one being the programmed way and the other the manual one, using the muslin material. 123 setup Doing as such will permit the printer to tackle its work proficiently without stalling out. Try not to give too many print occupations to the HP printer consistently; this might cause a error while printing. Continuously print in ordinary and draft mode from the printer; it will print quicker. Imprinting in higher Dpi or best quality mode will make the HP printer measure a bit lethargic Remove the separators in the archives as this will empower the user to try not to print clear pages at the appointed time of distribution from the HP printer. The paper for printing ought to be clear as it prints quicker. Different papers chose may cause an issue while printing from the hp printer.HP printers empower to print photos to protect every one of the recollections users can print straightforwardly and afterward outline those recollections for the dividers at home or office spaces. Deal with the cartridges of the HP printer and ensure they don't dry out because of a periodic use. Not topping off the cartridges on time can be another justification the cartridge to turn flawed. These vacant cartridges need substitution at the soonest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for offering that fantastic site; I've been following you for three years and have read practically all of your posts; in fact, I've gotten a lot of aid in my studies from you, just as I have from Take My College Class For Me, who also provide excellent study assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could duplicate them onto construction paper, loosely tear them apart, and set them in baskets for children to select their favourite professional web design usa colours. It would also enable me to go over the form names again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Absolutely agree! I recently stumbled upon the 'There Is Nothing Scary About These Scarecrows' event, and I must say, it was more charming than chilling. The creativity behind each scarecrow was impressive, showcasing a blend of humor and artistry. It was a refreshing take on the traditional spooky theme, offering a lighthearted and entertaining experience for all ages. The organizers really nailed it in making scarecrows endearing rather than eerie. Can't wait to see what they come up with next year!" Most students are drawn to these types of articles and information, but they are unable to prepare for their exams, If you have been struggling with your exams and want assistance, students can hire online test takers - test takers online and get higher grades on their examinations by providing them with the best available resources, including quality academic services.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Navigating academic challenges demands effective writing and innovative solutions. In the realm of higher education, the demand for precision in UK assignment help is paramount. Crafting insightful content requires a nuanced approach, and services like UK assignment help provide the needed support. These platforms not only offer assistance but also empower students to excel, fostering a culture of academic excellence through expert guidance and customized solutions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...