Crayons & Cuties in Kindergarten Home About Me My Classroom My Shop Image Map










Friday, December 4, 2015

Hanukkah Word Work Center

Hanukkah begins next week and I like to expose my children to all of the different holidays celebrated during December.
Our word work center will be a 'spin' on the dreidel game!

This is SUPER easy to make and you can have it fit any words, letter, spelling patterns, etc that your students are working on!

I am using it for sight word practice (reading/writing/using in a sentence).

First purchase dreidels.  I got a package of 4 from the dollar store.  I also found this bigger plastic dreidel that you can open and fill:

but they only had one (so I will use that one to hold these little guys for now and to teach them how to spin!)

I printed the words I wanted them to practice using 20pt font size (I used a basic block font) and then cut them and taped one word to each side of the dreidel:

I made a recording sheet by inserting a table, but you can download it for FREE and edit it as you need here:
(When it opens in Dropbox, click to download.  Once it downloads it will open in PowerPoint and click 'enable editing'.  Then click in each text box (it is set to Century Gothic font, but you can change it to whatever font you want) and then change the word to what you need!

To play, students spin the dreidel:

read the word it landed on (the word facing up)

and then find it on the recording sheet and write it in the next open space

To keep the dreidels from 'flying' off the table and all over the floor, I will be having my students spin the dreidels in these dollar store baskets!

Here are a few great read alouds I found to do next week:
I had a few of these that I got from Scholastic, borrowed some from my library and all of them are available on Amazon.
The bottom right two are great for talking about families that celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas!

If you are looking for some Hanukkah resources to use in your classroom, these can be found in my Teachers Pay Teachers Store:






or click here to find all of my Hanukkah resources:

If you are planning on playing the traditional dreidel game, you can find the 'how to' here:

Wishing you a wonderful holiday season!
Until next post,

1 comment:

  1. wow, 4 for $1 at the dollar store. I'll have to check mine and see if they still have them. thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...